Sunday 10 February 2013

Returning Home.........


Returning home is always a joy.

Noticing signs of a more significant change in season, I had the feeling I had missed out.
I was too late to experience the swirling fluttering leaves  in the wind, falling like bronze and gold confetti.  

   

Bare trees now stood along my path, silhouetted against the landscape.


Empty Chestnut husks at my feet like baby hedgehogs!



Droplets of rain on decaying leaves....beauty even in a season lost.


Last signs of green fading fast...


Beautiful natural light......



Muddy puddles reflecting trees, light and anything peering into them!


Cameron had returned whilst I was away, unable to settle back in England, he truly has the Italian Bug!



He soon got stuck into stacking the logs with Em!


Chopping is one of Cameron's skills...once we had bought a better, long handled axe he really came into his own chopping piles of kindling in various sizes...love that boy!


Laura treated us to one of her delicious roasted wild boar lunches served with Polenta...which you may already know can be eaten
in a number of different ways.    
Polenta is cornmeal made from dried ground maize and provides a staple dish in Northern Italy.
Mixed with water we enjoyed ours cooked creamy and thick, but it's also good once set and sliced or fried the following day.
It is served instead of pasta, rice or potatoes and, in its dried form can be used to coat chicken or fish.


We were also treated to wild mushrooms fried in a light batter.. delicious!
Like all that is on offer at Laura's table, they were gathered from her land.....eating all that is grown, produced and reared in this area fills me with the deepest satisfaction. 


Difficult not to express our gratitude after such a feast!



Spectacular view from their terrace!



Well I eventually had to get down to the Christmas preparations, starting with the cake.
I had made a Christmas cake the year before which was a huge hit, a little daunted in case it didn't quite man up this year I cautiously put the first stages into place heating the fruit ready to soak overnight.
This recipe was originally one of Jamie's, although I take great delight in adding my own selection of fruit and nuts, also a great way of using up odd bits from the pantry!  
Traditionally we all had a stir the following day and made a wish!
It takes time and of course there is all the addition of brandy that goes on for a couple of weeks or more there after.......carefully re- wrapping in greaseproof paper and foil placing it back in its airtight container.
I actually love all the ritual and of course, the love that goes into this good old English tradition! 

I decided to make new stockings for everyone at home this year... 


I also enjoyed foraging in the woods for something pliable with which to make a wreath for our door....so much more satisfying than buying one.
We all love a real Christmas Tree..... this time I found one with proper roots......the idea being we would never have to buy one again!
I hung on to that thought as Cameron and I struggled to get it out of the boot of the car!!!
We heaved and heaved, so heavy and awkward but eventually we balanced it on the wheel barrow and Cameron wheeled it through the front door.
I am sure my lovely nephew must have been cursing me as he heaved it into its new home ready to be dressed....it nearly got the better of us I can tell you!

Once dressed and swathed in tiny white lights we both stood back and admired our work!



Once again I started to eye up Mauro's holly tree laden with bright red berries mmmm they would make a fitting table decoration!






Snow capped mountains






                       View down the road into the village....


An interlude of mountain shots I would like to share with you......I must have thousands of shots all of the same view but all different...changing light and colour...









Enjoyed making mincemeat for the mince pies......this time I looked up a Delia recipe to see how she made it.
Have to say, not crazy about her...not certain why either, sorry to all you Delia fans of which I am certain there are many!
Anyway....her method of cooking is to put the bowl in the oven for a few hours to heat the fruit mixture through.
I had my reservations but followed suit....ended up taking it out a little ahead of time fearing it was ruined, burnt even!!!
I cast it to one side until the morning worrying how to break the news to the family that there wouldn't be any mince pies after all!
Think I had the oven to high if I am honest!!!!!
However, I decided to use it, added the brandy and hoped for the best!!!
It was actually delicious!
Thanks Delia!!!!



Christmas morning....Hargs preparing the turkey!
Rather embarrassing as I had to order one from our local butcher as it isn't the norm to eat turkey in Italy on Christmas Day.
Apparently they could only get two sizes, the smaller sounded too small and I must have lost the plot when I quickly decided to go for the larger!


Time to open the bottle of pink champagne I had been saving, and celebrate!




Everyone gets dragged in to contribute with the feast....so look out if you ever decide to stay with us at Christmas!!!
Cameron re-created dates with prosciutto he had sampled one year in Portugal......very impressed!


Em made a tasty stuffing....


I put the vegetables together....... carrots were placed in a bag made from greaseproof paper, rosemary honey, satsuma and knob of butter.....

Some just waited until feeding time!



Cameron made buns, from left over turkey and cranberry sauce....

A tasty hit for Boxing Day!

New Year's Eve and more family arrive...Mum, Dad and Sis...




Getting into the spirit.....


As midnight approached we gathered in our bathroom to watch the array of fireworks across the valley!

Sparklers and another glass of Prosecco...we hugged one another and wished each other the best for 2013.... 



Before they all left, we planned a train journey to Monterosso at the Cinque Terre.
Love doing this trip, little distance and upon arrival you step off the train....and there right ahead of you is the beautiful Mediterranean Sea!
Surrounded by vineyards and dry stone walls, winding pathways and enchanting beaches, the five villages with beautiful colour washed houses make this an amazing place to visit!
The sea is incredibly clear great for swimming.
Breathtaking views, beautiful churches and castle as well as great little restaurants for sampling delicious sea food....they say the best anchovies come from Monterosso!
We have also taken one of the many boat trips in the past......seeing the stunning pink, yellow and terracotta houses from the sea.
It really is a very special place. 




The 4th of January.....we could not believe how hot it was when we arrived, having left early on a cold foggy morning!
Layered up good and proper!!!
We all returned with tanned faces!





I have always admired black and white tiles.....


Checking out the ones taken so far.....god we had fun!


Love this photograph...the carefree manner in which the young couple are holding hands.....


I don't know who she is, but the heat of the sun and sea air brings out the best in people!
Relaxed and enjoying the Sunday paper!


This giant intrigues me every time I come to Monterosso......who is he? why is he there?......more importantly, who was the amazing sculptor who created him?!


My sister just had to paddle!!!


Joy of joys, so pleased to see her looking radiantly happy......


La cicogna, or stork......this place is full of beautiful signs...




Lunch was definitely on the cards and guess what...we sat outside!
Don't you just love the colourful Italian gentlemen?!



Entertainment was also laid on as para gliders skillfully landed right next to us along the beach!





Proud to be Italian!......




Eventually we dragged ourselves away to catch the train home....




People watching at the station!


As we drove up our lane towards home, the mountains looked like this!


A great way to finish a very enjoyable day...dinner at our neighbours, in true Italian style, other members of our family were welcomed around the table.... 


All good things come to an end.........happy days!




















































No comments:

Post a Comment