Tuesday 21 July 2015

The Sewing Room Outdoors.....

This afternoon I was inspired to set up a sewing studio outside.
Having hung linen curtains one side of the table, I was able to 
enjoy some shade from the intense heat of the July sun.


I couldn't resist buying this beautiful antique cotton night dress from the last Antique Market I went to in Lucca.
So beautifully trimmed around the neck and sleeves, 
handiwork lovingly created by someone with the initials, MJA.
The initials are surrounded with chain stitch decorated with a flower and leaves...exquisite.
Just one problem....it had what looked liked almost scissor cuts through both sides of fabric in two places!
I could not walk away though, the rest was perfect and the nice lady on the stall offered it to me for only 3Euros!


So, here I am in my element, surrounded with baskets and interesting boxes full of antique trimmings, ribbon and lace pondering the best solution.

Another piece of old cotton would work, various possibilities but none work as well as the hand made trim with leaves.
I cut longer lengths than was necessary thinking it all looked more pleasing on the eye and got down to hand sewing the trim in place.
I'm not bad at judging distance in relation to where it should be placed, then secured with bobble headed pins, which I love!

I find hand sewing very therapeutic....in and out the needle goes, through the fine cotton, making tiny stitches with thoughts of my Nana Brown.
My Nana loved sewing too always had something pretty on the go, a new dress for one of the little girls in the family.
I loved peering into her sewing box, running my fingers through her button tin examining spotty ribbons admiring her hand smocking.
I am certain my love of sewing came from my Nana.

 Collecting old trimmings from my occasional visits to junk shops and trawling around antique markets thrills me with sheer delight! 






The vase of wild flowers sitting on the table next to me, in itself I find inspiring, not necessarily with this item of clothing, but to embroider or appliqué the bottom of another antique piece.
I am so often enthralled by nature and all surrounding me up at Torre di Monte Vignale.


I cannot wait to secure the end of the cotton and trow this lovely piece over my head!

It feels lovely, the natural fabric flowing~

LoVe the big scooped neckline~


I wear it with pride, to Sarzana....as a cool summer dress, this very old, once a nightdress!


Wandering back at home through our woods, my thoughts turn to the person who originally made the new, beautiful addition to my wardrobe.
I wonder who she was and what she loved~ 













2 comments:

  1. How beautiful, I love to buy antique linen and your night dress is so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete